Pets in Costumes Could Become a Fire Hazard

Halloween is only a few days away and pets in themed costumes look cute and sweet. Therefore, every year there are more and more cats and dogs wearing pet Halloween costumes, taking part as a little surprise guest on Halloween parties.

Pet halloween costume, Spider Angus

Pet Halloween costume, Spider Angus—Beau B (Flickr.com)

Unfortunately, our pets can also cause fire by accident, especially, when there are stoves and candles placed on furniture for the right ambiance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pets and other animals inadvertently set about 510 house fires every year in [the US]. From 2006 to 2010, such fires caused an average of $8.7 million in property damage and injured eight humans a year, said John R. Hall Jr., division director for fire analysis and research for the National Fire Protection Association.

Animals—including wild ones or pests like rats or insects—are capable of starting a fire any time, but the majority involve a heat source, like a stove, light fixture, candle, embers, or a space heater, Hall said. And over colder holidays like [Halloween], Thanksgiving and Christmas, there’s often more activity around those sources than usual.

[..]

Pets especially need monitoring around holidays, when owners may be cooking or baking treats more often or when potentially flammable decorations are out. A dog or cat wearing a homemade Halloween costume, especially one with a cape, might get too close to a jack-o-lantern with an open flame.

“If you dress your own dog, the fabric probably isn’t fire-retardant,” said Lisa Peterson, a spokeswoman for the American Kennel Club. “So you need to be vigilant.”

 

11 Responses to Pets in Costumes Could Become a Fire Hazard